Spouse, fiancé(e),Civil Partner or Unmarried Partner


The overseas spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner of a British citizen or person settled in the UK may be able to apply to remain with or join them in the UK.

Both the applicant and partner must be aged 18 or over.

You need to provide evidence that your marriage or your civil partnership is recognised in the UK.

If you are a fiancé(e) or a proposed civil partner you must demonstrate that you intend to get married or enter into a civil partnership within six months of arriving in the UK.

The main requirement for unmarried partners, is that they have been living with their sponsor in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application.

In addition, the applicant must demonstrate a sufficient knowledge of English and satisfy minimum income requirements and that you can financially support yourself and your dependent without recourse to public funds. There is usually a financial requirement that the sponsor earns £18,600. The financial requirements under the family immigration rules often pose the greatest difficulties to prospective applicants.

You will be able to stay for two and a half years, or six months if you come as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner. At the end of this period you will be able to extend your stay. Leave under this category may lead to settlement.

From the planning stage through to the arrival of their relatives in the UK, we are able to assist with applications from beginning to end and we help clients navigate the complex application process. Accordingly, please do not hesitate to get in touch for expert advice if you require assistance in understanding these requirements and if you would like to know more about how to apply.